VIDEO: Small California winemaker is all family
February 28, 2011
• Uses Internet and value-added products to succeed
• Five generations and counting
• There are about 2,700 licensed wineries in California
• Most produce fewer than 5,000 12-bottle cases a year
• A medium-size winery produces between 10,000 and 50,000 cases annually
• California has about 100 medium- to large-size wineries
• Wine grapes represent the single largest agriculture commodity in Amador County
• Amador County wineries generate $60 million in wine sales annually, including $10 million in tasting room sales
• They employ 150 full-time employees and 300 part-time and seasonal workers.
• Wine tourism in Amador generates $35 million annually in non-wine expenditures.