Feds say they’ve streamlined process to get work authorization and Social Security number

October 2, 2017 10:52am

•  Allows both to be obtained at the same time

•  Two agencies to share data

A new information-sharing partnership between U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Social Security Administration is expected to help foreign nationals in certain categories or classifications to apply for work authorization and a Social Security number using a single form.

To lawfully work in the United States, foreign workers in some categories and classifications need both an employment authorization document and a Social Security number. Previously, applicants needed to submit a Form I-765 to USCIS for an EAD, and then submit additional paperwork in person at their local Social Security office to obtain an SSN.

The revised USCIS form includes additional questions that allow applicants to apply for an SSN or replacement card without visiting a Social Security office.

USCIS will transmit the additional data collected on the form to the SSA for processing.

Moving forward, applicants who receive their approved EADs from USCIS should receive their Social Security card from SSA within the following two weeks.

Copyright ©2017 Central Valley Business Times
No content may be reused without written permission.
An online unit of BizGnus, Inc.
All rights reserved.